Sunday 3 June 2012

Shellfish Galore

The Five Fisherman, located in a haunted building on Argyle Street, is a favourite haunt of tourists and lucky locals alike.This night was to be my last dinner in Halifax before heading out of town the following afternoon, so I was determined to eat as much shellfish as possible. The Five Fisherman makes this task fairly simple, as along with their salad bar, there is also a mussel bar included with every entree. I filled up on three plates of mussels before the main course arrived, steamed perfectly and bathed in garlic butter (they also have a marinara sauce, lemon butter and plain butter for the more adventurous dippers).

These are just mussels I made on my own once, the Five Fish is not really the kinda joint you bring a camera into
After I was sure I could eat no more mussels, the main course arrived, Scallops stuffed with Lobster meat. I wish I did have a camera because it was very elegantly prepared, and had a nice creamy white sauce on top. I find that whenever two foods are combined together (see. mcgangbang) their flavours just kind of amalgamate, so I ended up picking out the lobster and eating the two separately for most of my bites. I don't think you could eat this the wrong way, it was delicious.  I finished off with some sorbets (your average sorbets but a nice end to the meal) and a blueberry tea rimmed with sugar (ver. tasty!)

This is not a cheap place to dine, but if you have a love for mussels and lobsters and other shellfish and steak, it is worth a trip. And for those of us winos, they have a great wine list!

They do not cook in a gluten and dairy free environment, but ask for all allergies and sensitivities after taking your order to try and accommodate as much as possible. 
The Five Fisherman Restaurant & Grill on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment