Monday 4 June 2012

A Jane's Farewell to Nova Scotia

My posts since I have arrived back in Halifax have been all about lasts', and this is the last of the lasts' post. My very last meal in Halifax and Nova Scotia. After this meal I would drive from Halifax back to Toronto. As usual, we were running late getting out of the city, so we wanted something quick and on the way. After several weeks in Newfoundland, and a week back in Halifax gorging myself, I also wanted something a little bit healthy, so we settled on Jane's on the Common; a cute little joint on Robie St. on the North side of the commons. Jane's is very famous for its weekend brunch menu, but any good Haligonian will know they also have a killer lunch.

The menu kindly points out the Gluten Free and Vegan options, so it is easy to navigate for those with dietary restrictions. I was with my parents who are both usually meat and potato kind of people, but they both found satisfying options, and I went with the Harvest Vegetable and Quinoa Stew; a stray from my usual smoked salmon and potato latke choice.

Jane's has never disappointed me and this excursion was no exception. Quinoa is a grain I discovered a few years ago from a very stealthy healthy roommate, I was intrigued and delighted by it, but it really became my best friend when I had to go gluten free. It just goes well with everything and has more protein and fibre than other grains! This stew (term used lightly, could also be called a Quinoa Salad) was perfectly spiced, and paired excellently with tender orange squash and red kidney beans. Some highlights were using red and white Quinoa, as well as a tofu "cream" as garnish, giving it a delightful creamy taste without the sore stomach! This is one of my favourite restaurants in Halifax for going Gluten or Dairy free, just remember to arrive early if you are going to try the brunch!

Gluten Free: Yes (many options)
Dairy Free: Yes (many options)
Jane's on the Common on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment