Friday 25 May 2012

Lobster Poutine


Back in Halifax for just one week, I felt a wave of nostalgia coming on and began frantically purchasing seafood and donairs. But the one Halifax treat I had yet to try was a lobster poutine. I only discovered these existed a little over a year ago and have been thinking about them ever since. The time to try one was now, and the place was the Halifax Farmers Market.

I feel a great fondness for the fish shop at the market, I have tried many of their catches, eaten their oysters for breakfast, gotten a free lobster because it’s limbs were falling off, and just had an overall positive experience. I had yet to try their cooked dishes, so this was a double first! The lobster poutine is $14, a little steep for us recently unemployed folk, but when in Nova Scotia…

It was ready in a matter of minutes, and they did not skimp on the lobster meat which makes me love them even more. For those of you who don’t know (and shame on you), a lobster poutine is fries, topped with lobster meat and cheese curds (squeaky cheese as it is sometimes referred to), covered in a hollandaise-esque sauce (but who can say exactly what it is?).

Everything about this poutine was amazing. The lobster was great, the cheese was fresh and not fake (it came from FoxHill cheese), the fries were thick and perfectly spiced and every bite was an orgasm in my mouth and body. I’m not sure when or how lobster poutine came to be, who thought to mix two of the best eastern Canadian foods, but whoever did, I would like to personally thank you for this treat you have bestowed upon the world. 

Gluten Free: yes!

Dairy Free: no :(

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your food blog. Nice start!

    Maybe it's early in your blog to ask but what one food or restaurant in your area is a must try is quintessential Newfoundland?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Food Cruiser- thanks for your comment! Cod Cheeks or Tongues are definitely a must try, but to my knowledge you can only find them in Newfoundland.

    Ches's Fish and Chips also has a lot of traditional Newfoundland foods (and beers :p), and they have a few locations throughout Newfoundland: http://www.chessfishandchips.ca/locations.htm

    If you're in Halifax I'd recommend just getting a nice steamed lobster (a staple in all of the Atlantic Provinces), many restraunts will have lobster specials over the summer making it much more affordable, or you can always make your own!

    ReplyDelete