Thursday 24 May 2012

I Find Treasure at Last


We left St. John’s for a 12 hour drive to the Port Aux Basques ferry, and I began to feel desperate. Desperate but not hopeless, because when is some of the worst food eaten? Road trips! I was certainly not disappointed by our first lunch stop, a few hours outside of St. John’s, at Mary Browns Chicken.  There was pretty much nothing on the road between St. John’s and this stop, and our driver was starting to get a little hangry (anger that arises from excessive hunger). Mary Browns seemed cheap, easy and fast so we pulled over, stomachs growling. There were three of us, so we got the family bucket- 6 pieces of chicken, a plate of taters and a side salad for just over for just under $25. According to their own signage, they were very famous for their taters, so this seemed like a great plan.

Let’s begin with the taters. Mostly, they tasted like salt. I’m not the kind of gal to shy away from a bit of extra salt on my fries, but this was excessive, like can already feel my blood pressure rising kind of excessive. The chicken was no better, it tasted like it was coated in salt and butter- moreso than your average fried chicken joint, which I did not think was possible. Between the three of us we couldn’t even make it half way through the taters, and we had to pick away some of the breading off the chicken to get it down. I left feeling physically unsatisfied but mentally satiated. Finally, a meal worthy of those old Newfoundland fisherman!


Mary Brown's Chicken on Urbanspoon


As much as I delighted at finally finding a nice artery clogging meal, it felt like a bit of a cop out to have a fried chicken chain win. The world already knows fried chicken is much too greasy and salty for any sane human. I had one last chance for a traditional meal, all my hopes and dreams rested on one last dinner.
We pulled up at the Harbourside restaurant, right at the beginnings of downtown Port Aux Basques, and next to the ferry terminal. As I read the menu, things were already looking up- they had cod tongues! For once I didn’t have a hard time deciding, so this was already a win. They came out lightly battered and fried and served with mashed potatoes. I have been told that cod tongues are quite the delicacy, and locals rush to the markets at 6am, to get a bag of cod tongues for the week. Surely these had to be tasty as well as salty and fatty, right? I took my first bite to the delightful feeling of hot oil rushing into my mouth and down my chin. They were a little chewy and more firm than your average fish part, but over all they were edible. I was even able to finish almost all of my plate! On the ferry later that night, I felt a little bit like throwing up. Some may say it could have been sea sickness, but I like to think that my body was rejecting all of the fats and salts in had consumed on this lovely day, my last day in Newfoundland, and my search complete.

Next time you find yourself wandering around the wilderness of Newfoundland, don’t be afraid to taste a cod tongue, or cheek, or a seal flipper pie- and you’ll truly begin to question how anyone survived here pre-confederation. 

Gluten Free: no

Dairy Free: yes

The Harbour Restaurant can be found at 1 Main, Port Aux Basques, NFLD

No comments:

Post a Comment