Thursday 15 March 2012

The Eternal Search for a Perfect Meal

Like opening a book for the first time and getting a whiff of new book smell, the first post on a brand new blog is also a special thing. The glow of the screen, the short scroll bar on the side, I could just scroll up and down for hours! So with this weight of importance, how do I begin? How do I introduce readers to a blog that will be life changing, heart wrenching, edge of your seat entertaining? Do they know what it's about? Have they already read the sidebar?

After staring at the screen blankly trying to bring out my inner writer, I have begun my blog by circumventing my topic: food. Why haven't I begun talking about food yet? For one, I haven't had any life changing food experiences this past week, so it felt like a very fraudulent time to start writing. But then I remembered what had happened when I ordered my lunch today, it is something that happens almost every day when I get lunch so I barely even noticed. I eat lunch at the same place almost every day- I know everything that is on the menu, and yet every time I stand for 5 or 10 minutes, staring at it, trying to decide what I want to eat. When it comes to choosing food, I am as indecisive as they come. I'm the kind of person who makes the waiter take my order last so I can have a few more moments to deliberate, I open every cupboard, open and close the fridge for hours before I decide what I want to make for dinner. I have an innate fear of choosing the wrong food.

At first this seemed a little crazy, how much of my life has been wasted deliberating between 'soup or salad'? But then I remembered the times when I made the wrong choice. I can only describe those times as nightmarish and catastrophic. It's as if my body is trying to say' THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED, and in return you will feel hungry, unsatisfied and bloated all day'. But when you find that really perfect meal that just 'hits the spot' nothing else seems to matter anymore, and the fact that you are going to have to go back to work in a few minutes is just a far off dream as you revel in the gloriousness of good food.

so that is my mission with this blog, to search for that perfect meal every day in all corners of the world, and take you along for the ride. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment