Sunday 18 March 2012

Eggs on Tostadas

In honour of St. Paddy's Day I would like to introduce a segment of the blog called "inebriation food". We all know a glass of red wine every now and then can stop heart disease along with other endless health benefits, but sometimes it leaves one a little hungry later on that evening or early the next morning. Halifax is a very student friendly city (5 universities) and the options for late night foods and weekend brunches are vast and varied. I've nailed down a few of the best spots, but there are still many more to discover that I will share with you here!

Today me and my roommates headed to the coastal for brunch. It is a small joint in the North End that I had never heard of, but I had been told it was the best 'hipster breakfast place in town', so I was willing to give it a try. They also listed some gluten free options so things were really looking up. There's only about 5 or 6 tables in the place, so three of us had to squeeze around one tiny table, and the menus were just plain pieces of paper in plastic bags. So far it had all the signs of either a hipster haven or a disappointment. The menu is ever changing, but I went for their staple item: Heuvos Rancheros. Fried eggs and cheesy Tostadas. I had just eaten my first Tostada at the Farmers Market a few weeks ago and it was messy and delightful so I was anxiously awaiting round two.

First came the orange juice, straight from the Tropicana carton and pulp free, my first disappointment. My thirst made me chug it down anyways, but I jealously glanced at the fresh smoothie and chai latte my roommates had gotten that looked much tastier.

Our food arrived in less than ten minutes- which was imperative for our hungover greediness, and the wafts of spicy and greasy food we kept getting  were not helping the situation.

Meanwhile...just as our food arrived about 10 or 15 new customers were piling in the door with no empty tables and only 2 staff working out front. They somehow managed to turn over a few tables and get out a bunch of take out orders by the time we were done eating...very impressive.

Back at the table...my plate was a saucy, gooey mess with runny eggs on cheesy Tostadas topped with salsa, guacamole and black bean paste. Being a half finger food and half not finger food kind of dish the tight space made eating, and trying not to drop my cutlery or get sauce all over me quite the challenge, but I was ready to face anything this morning after St. Paddys! The combination of the eggs and salsa had just the right amount of spice and oily goodness and the Tostadas soaked in all of the sauces and egg and cheese juices still maintained some crunch, though they served less as a flavourful shell, and more as a vessel to get more guacamole to my mouth.

Now that the desperate hunger was gone we noticed some of the neat pictures, and 50's style memorabilia around the room, but we didn't stick around for too long, a new rush of customers was coming in and they had to get the tables turned over.

Info:
The Coastal can be found at 2731 Robie Street and is open  Mon-Sat 8-3 and Sunday 10-3

Gluten Free: Some options (my choice included) Dairy Free: Unlikely on the original menu but they try to accommodate food allergies as best they can.




The Coastal Cafe on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment